Thinking of all kinds of places I used to write, in loose and sometimes overlapping order…
- Drake’s and Brown Jug and Monkey Bar and Amer’s and Espresso Royale and Continental Diner and Bill’s Coffee Cup (Ann Arbor)
- Penny Lane and Trident and Aristocrat Diner and Sundown Saloon (Boulder)
- Dom Bakeries and Mudd House and Ugly Mug (Ypsi)
- Pat’s (Orono)
- Stella’s and Cosmic Crossings and Pete’s and Mercury Cafe (Denver)
- South St. Diner (Boston)
- Ruski’s and JavaNet (Portland)
- Atlas and Roebling Tea Room (Brooklyn)
- Broken Cup and Yaffa and Cafe Pick Me Up (Manhattan)
I miss little things about each and every one of those places, the way they used to be when I worked there. Now it’s Coffee by Design and Hilltop in Portland. Dipping a toe into Local Sprouts. Also, of course, home.
I know I’m forgetting some place. An internal tour of your past is never really complete. Interesting to remember how I felt as a writer, where my horizons of expectation were, when I was spending time at each of those places.
One response to “Places I Used to Write, and Sometimes Still Do”
Will you be writing a sequel to “Transformers Exiles”?